Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Emily the Elf, What's Your Favorite Color?

This week I had the great privilege and blessing to deliver toys to the boys and girls at our local children's hospital. My office has been collecting toys for the past month or so and I was so excited to be one of the little elves who delivered the toys to the rooms and brighten up the days of the poor sweet kiddos who are stuck in the hospital during the holidays.


It was such a wonderful experience, but I left the hospital with mixed feelings. I was happy that we were able to do something to spread some holiday cheer to others, but I was sad for the families that I saw going through such a scary and difficult time, and I wanted nothing more than to rush home and snuggle with Amelia for the rest of the day and thank the good Lord for her being healthy and happy.

But also, I left there feeling inspired. I realized that it doesn't take much time and effort to do something nice for others, and I need to continue volunteering and helping others in the community more often. Not just during the holidays, but all the time. I need to be an example for Amelia so that she grows up with a generous spirit of giving back and helping others.

I also need to watch the movie Elf with her before this holiday season is over because I think she's old enough to appreciate the astounding cinematic masterpiece of ..... SANTA!!!!!!! I KNOW HIM!!! I KNOW HIM!!!!!

So, basically, I just need to stop being such a cotton-headed ninny muggins and start doing more for those around me and teach Amelia the joy of Buddy the Elf. And if she doesn't want to watch Elf this year, then we'll just make snow angels for two hours, go ice skating, eat a whole roll of Toll House cookie dough as fast as we can, and then, to finish, we'll snuggle.

No comments: