Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Parfum de Poisson

As per my usual roller coaster of healthy living where I vacillate between a diet of broccoli and grilled chicken to jamocha almond fudge with extra fudge....I'm currently trying to self-discipline myself into some healthier meals.

Take for instance my dinner the other night of baked spaghetti squash topped with spinach, mushrooms, and marinara. It was delicious and surprisingly filling.


The only problem I encountered was that I had to make an entire separate meal for the hubby who took one look at it and declared he was NOT eating that. Plus I had to make another entire separate meal for the toddler whose pallet is not quite developed enough for spaghetti squash topped with spinach and mushrooms, and who was also not interested in the nachos her Daddy was now eating. So mashed potatoes and green beans for her it is.

Twelve hours later I finally was able to leave the kitchen.

And y'all wonder why I don't cook more often.

Last night I took another stab at the healthy dinner option by making a grilled mahi burger over spinach with a side of roasted asparagus and roasted sweet potatoes. It was scrumptious and I was very impressed with myself, I must say.


The only problem I encountered was that the mahi emitted QUITE the fishy odor. The hubby wasn't home yet, but he is infamous for being sensitive to bad smells so I knew that I better get busy de-stinkyifying the house immediately or else I may be banned from the kitchen for eternity.

I opened doors, I ran the fan over the stove, I sprayed Febreeze, and I lit all the candles. Surely to goodness, I covered my fish-laden tracks right?

In walks Chris.

The MILLISECOND that he opens the door, he exclaims, "WHAT IS THAT SMELL? IT SMELLS HORRIBLE IN HERE!"

Well, crap.

I've got a confession to make to y'all here on the blog. I did not come clean with my husband about the cooking of the fish. I feigned innocence and said maybe it was the onions I used to make his nachos or maybe it was the sweet potatoes I roasted.

PS - he is on a big nachos kick, in case you couldn't tell.
PSS - he doesn't read the blog so my secret is safe with you.
PSSS - please don't tell on me!

I just couldn't make myself fess up to him and admit that I had sauteed a fish burger and turned our house into a stink bomb.

Why does eating healthy have to be so SMELLY, y'all?

Take for instance today when I brought my yummy and healthy protein packed tuna. Do you know what happens when you crack open some tuna and start peeling hard-boiled eggs in the breakroom at work?


You detonate another glorified stink bomb and find yourself constantly assuring anyone who walks near you that it isn't flatulence they are smelling, but indeed your lunch.

In case you are interested, I've got three Trader Joe's mahi patties I'd like to giveaway, as it has become clear that I will no longer be able to cook them in my house without risking permanent banishment from the kitchen. And possibly the house entirely.

In related news, please pray for the powers of Febreeze and candles tonight as I plan to saute a few shrimp to top my spaghetti squash.

No comments: