Monday, December 11, 2017

Christmas Magic & Christmas Cooties

Friday evening was spent in a magical Christmas wonderland at Southeast Christian Church's Christmas program.


First Amelia and I got tickets to ride the Christmas choo choo train around the indoor ice skating rink. Everyone watching us was waving and each time we would pass by the nativity scene, Amelia would shout, "Baby Jesus!".


Next, we went to the Storytime in the Chapel, not really knowing exactly what to expect. It turned out to be a sort of improv storytelling of the birth of Jesus which included the kids coming up on stage to play a role. Amelia LOVED it. She kept looking over at us and smiling like, "Look at what I'm doing! This is so fun!"


After that, we went into the sanctuary to watch the Christmas program which included some singing and dancing and acting...it was cute, but 45 minutes ended up being a little long for Amelia but she made it through without melting down, thankfully.

When the program ended, we got in line for what we thought was a pony ride, but ended up being some elaborate "star trail" where we followed the Star of Bethlehem from station to station meeting characters from the Bible along the way like Mary, Joseph, and shepherds.


And then we found the line for the "pony ride" which really ended up being those electric animals that you can ride in the mall. Chris surprised me and jumped all over the opportunity to ride with Amelia. I have video evidence of this which I will re-watch over and over anytime I need a good chuckle. To say Amelia enjoyed this experience, would be a major understatement. Look at this face.


On our way out, we stopped by the live nativity which included real sheep grazing beside us and Amelia declared the night a success by shouting, "This was SO much fun!". Amen, sister. Amen.


And though the night was entirely wonderful and magical, I was completely bummed to wake up with a very sick toddler who caught some Christmas cuties somewhere between the choo choo train and the electric lion ride.

She ran a fever, didn't have an appetite, and only wanted to cuddle. I would have loved nothing more than to cuddle with her all day long, but Saturday was the day Beth and I had planned for months for our big sister day date.

So after giving her some Tylenol and handing my sick baby off to her Nana, Beth and I headed out to have some fun sister time. First stop, brunch at Butchertown Grocery - waffles, bacon, sausage & biscuits - OH MY!




We waddled over to the Kentucky Center for our matinee showing of the Louisville Ballet's The Nutcracker and enjoyed an afternoon of some more Christmas magic.


Beth and I were both in wonder of how skilled and athletic the dancers were -- and they make it look so effortless. But believe me, I could see those rippling muscles in that Nutcracker's legs!

After the show, we drove back home (in the snow! more Christmas magic!), grabbed a quick Starbucks holiday treat, and called it a day. I love spending sister days with my favorite!! I need more days like that in my life!!

Beth headed home, and I headed back into the cootie lair. Did I mention that Chris was sick as well? Yeah, I left both my husband and child home with the plague while I enjoyed an afternoon at the Ballet. Mom and Wife of the Year Award goes to...

So even though Amelia was extra cuddly and clingy and I was soaking up the love while I could get it, her sickness also came with an extra dose of toddler 'tude since she was grumpy from not feeling well. She spouted off lovely things such as, "Get out of here!" and "Stop bugging me!" and "You're making me ANGRY!" And yes, I laugh every time she says that last one. Where in the world did she learn that from, I wonder?  (ahem, Chris...)

Sunday morning came and PRAISE JESUS, Amelia seemed to be feeling much better. It must have been just a 24 hour bug that her body thankfully was able to fight off. And because she didn't eat much on Saturday, all I heard all day yesterday was "I'm SO hungry, Mommy" while she made up for her lost appetite.

Phew! This weekend was a wild ride of highs and lows.

And even a literal wild ride on an electric lion.

Family - ask me to watch the video on my phone. You will not regret it. 

I hope your weekend was filled with lots of Christmas magic and hopefully no Christmas cooties!

No comments: