Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Delivery Scenarios

We are officially counting down the days until Reagan's arrival! At my last doctor's appointment on Thursday, I was dilated 1 cm and 50% effaced. I was also told that they would like to induce me at 39 weeks if I had not already gone into labor on my own. Which means I'll be scheduling an inducement for the week of April 19 if I haven't made progress on my own! It's going to be an interesting birth story whatever ends up happening.

As of right now, Chris is allowed to be in the delivery room. For him to be in the delivery room means that we'll have to allow Chris's parents to watch Amelia for us while we are at the hospital even though we're all in quarantine mode and it makes me super nervous to expose his parents to Amelia and any germs we might bring home from the hospital. If for ANY reason his parents don't feel comfortable watching Amelia - say for instance if one of them starts having any symptoms between now and then- then chances are that Chris will have to stay home with Amelia and not be present for the birth of Reagan.

Well...not present in the traditional sort of way. I've been told by my doctor that it is absolutely no problem at all to allow Chris to be virtually present - Skype, Facetime, Zoom, whatever we like. Can you IMAGINE? First of all, I can't imagine having a baby without my husband or any support person for that matter in the room with me. Second of all, I can't imagine what it would be like for Chris to watch this all take place on his computer screen. And lastly, I can't imagine what Amelia would think of the whole experience if she overhears her mama laboring and delivering and all that craziness. Certainly Chris would shield her from seeing what was taking place for the most part, but still. Just crazy to think about. So I'm praying that everything goes well and Chris is able to actually be in the delivery room. Even if we're all wearing masks and gloves and there are no visitors to welcome Reagan into the world and we're quarantined to our mother/baby room and it feels like she's just been born to a world that has gone totally mad. As long as everyone is healthy, that is all that matters.

I ask for prayers for us as we navigate this uncertain situation!

No comments: