Friday, September 4, 2020

Amelia Starts Kindergarten

 Last week was Amelia's first day of kindergarten. I never pictured Amelia in a uniform and mask for her first day of school, but that is exactly what she wore. 


She's not a big fan of the uniform because she loves all things pink, sparkly, shiny, and girly, but I still think she looks cute as a button in it.


So far Amelia is loving school. There are only 9 kids in her class and they try to keep them as separated as possible for safety. She's gotten used to wearing her mask when she needs to so it's not even an issue. Her school focuses a lot on perfecting the art of penmanship, so as she works on her ABC's, she is also working really hard on writing those letters just right. 


While most of the kids in America right now are going to school online, Amelia's school has absolutely zero virtual components. If COVID causes the school to close, she will go online, but for now there are no computers anywhere. She spends her day writing, reciting, having snacks and recess, learning about the Bible, art, and music, and even has a 20 minute rest time in the afternoon. She loves every minute of it! Recess is her favorite, of course.


Since she only goes on Tuesdays and Thursdays, she is sent home with a fairly good amount of homework for Monday, Wednesday, and Friday which I get to help her do. She is a perfectionist (she get it from her mama) so sometimes things can get a bit melodramatic when she can't write something just exactly right. 


I love Tuesday and Thursday afternoons when I go pick her up and she tells me ALL about her day on the car ride home. She is really quiet in class all day because according to her she is nervous, so once she gets in the car she has a lot of pent up talking that she needs to get out of her system....she basically doesn't stop talking until she is in bed that night! 

I'm so excited for her new kindergarten adventure. I can already tell she is going to learn so much this year! She has already come home a few times and taught me a few things I didn't know, ha!

No comments: