The dentist and doctor both praised her for having beautiful teeth, which makes me proud. I remember growing up a little self-conscience about having a space between my teeth (pre-braces), but when I see Amelia's little space, I have to admit I think it is just about the cutest thing in the world. I hope she embraces her little space more than I did!
As far as the doctor's visit goes, she got a good report in all areas. She's still a little squirt, only in the 3rd percentile for weight at 21.35 lbs and she's in the 25th percentile for height. Even though she's itty bitty, we're told she's healthy as can be and we have no need to worry. The one area where we need to improve is in her articulation. Amelia has full comprehension and hearing abilities when it comes to language, so the only reason that she isn't communicating by words is because we have allowed her to get away with communicating by nodding and pointing. The doc suggested enrolling her in some social activities such as a music class or Sunday school group. He is also sending a speech therapist to our house to evaluate her and teach us some games to play with her to improve her speech. Right now she says about 15-20 words, including the phrase "What's that?" which she says about 947 times a day.
The night before her birthday, I put Amelia in her birthday shirt from last year as it would be the last time she could wear it and the words be true. Bitter sweet!
We had a great time watching her open presents, blow out candles, and play with all her toys for a few hours. I loved having the simple party at home - where we were able to drag out the full length mirror from the bedroom to show everyone how Amelia loves to stare at herself and watch herself dance and jump and twirl. It was very laid back and stress-free.
Somewhere in the midst of the dentist, the doctor, and the party, Amelia picked up a few germs and woke up Sunday with the beginning stages of a cold. She's fighting a runny nose, a nagging cough, and has the saddest little red nose and eyes. But her spirits are still up and it seems like a pretty harmless cold that will run it's course with a few days of liquids and extra sleep.
I felt very mom-ish on Sunday when I gave Amelia her first bowl of double noodle soup and put red Gatorade in her sippy cup. After spending most of the day being a finicky eater, she dove into those noodles like they were the best thing ever. I couldn't help but think of how this was the beginning of years to come of her mama giving her soup, Gatorade, and lots of TLC to help her feel better when she's sick. I know that when I'm sick, those are my comforts that my mom gave me and I love passing the tradition down to Amelia.
It's hard to believe she is already two years old, but I adore this stage of her life and count my blessings for such a sweet, healthy, smart, and awesome little girl.
Happy Birthday, Amelia Ryan!
1 comment:
A quick FYI: Our Abigail said even less words than that at Amelia's age. I think evaluation is good and be as pro-active as you can, but 99 times out of 100 they catch up and start doing their thing in no time. I wouldn't give it a second's stress!
Post a Comment