Thursday, January 18, 2018

Amelia Ryan is 3 years old!

It's official. The Nation's now have a 3 year old. How in the world did this happen?


We took her to the pediatrician last Friday for her 3 year check up, and I must say, she was a completely different child from her 2 year old check up. At two years old, Amelia was terrified of the doctor's office and she was not talking so we were discussing speech therapy options. Fast forward to three years old and Amelia was not only talking everyone's ear off, but she was jumping up and down because she was "SO EXCITED" to be at the doctor's office!


It's amazing what happens when you buy your child a doctor's kit for Christmas. She was basically telling the doctor how to take her temperature. Amazing!

One thing that has not changed much at all is Amelia's height and weight. She is still only 23 lbs and about 35 inches tall, which puts her in less than the 3rd percentile for weight and around the 8th percentile for height. And now my family is demanding that I feed my child cheeseburgers and milkshakes. I promise you - the girl eats! I mean her favorite food right now is GRAVY. Seriously.

Also, as a side note, she requested some ice cream after dinner and I told her we didn't have any. She quickly replied, "Well then, you better go get some!" So don't worry guys, she's keeping Mommy accountable.

We celebrated our teeny threenager with two parties over the weekend. On Saturday, we were planning to have my family up for her first party, but then dear old mother nature decided to drop a snowpacolypse on us and kept my family snowed in down in Franklin. So Nana and Papaw made the trip over from Shelbyville to our apartment for a small birthday gathering just the five of us. Well, nine of us if you include the Peppa Pig family.







On Sunday, we reversed roles with Nana and Papaw and we drove over to Shelbyville for another party, this time with the rest of the aunts and uncles and cousins in Chris's family. Amelia cracked us all up as she opened presents and threw any clothes she got to the side as quickly as she pulled them from the bag. Ain't nobody got time for that...


Nana and Papaw surprised Amelia with a little pink convertible which she will get to drive outside once the weather isn't hovering around 3 degrees and the ground isn't covered in ice and snow. The manual that came with it said the car will go up to 2.5 miles per hour - so watch out world, here she comes!


We were off on Monday for MLK Day and then I got lucky with another snow day, so I thoroughly enjoyed an extra long weekend at home with my girl. She is just the sweetest thing in the entire world. I have no idea how I got so lucky, but I count my blessings daily.


The rest of this post is going to be a snapshot of Amelia's current routine, just for my own Mommy-bloggin' prosterity sake.

At three years old, Amelia is talking in full sentences, incorporating words that baffle her daddy and me daily, such as telescope, difficult, and helicopter. Some of her signature phrases are "Upsy do!" (instead of oopsy daisy) when she drops something and "Silly me!" when she does forgets something. Actually, everyone is "silly" in her book. If you do anything remotely funny around her, she loves to say "silly Mommy!" or "silly Nana!". She also loves the phrase "5 more minutes?". Girlfriend has no idea how long 5 minutes is, but she knows that if she's watching a show she likes on her tablet or she's having fun splashing around in the bathtub and you tell her it's time to do something else, she quickly asks for 5 more minutes.

Currently, Amelia's weekly routine involves waking up around 7:30. Nana and Papaw are already at our house, as I have to leave around 7am for work. She has Chex & milk for breakfast and then plays throughout the morning with things such as play-doh, Paw Patrol toys, Peppa & George, her princess castle, or she races Abby and Elmo around the kitchen floor on tractors. Around 9:30, she'll usually have a snack - a banana or some peanut butter crackers. If she's really hungry, her Nana will fix her some scrambled eggs. She'll continue to play and maybe watch an episode of Puppy Dog Pals or Peppa on the tv.

Around 11 or 11:30, she'll have lunch which usually consists of 3 things (her plates have 3 separate sections which are definitely creating a person who is going to grow up and not like her food to touch. She also requests separate utensils for each food item. Ha!) So her lunch could be any combination of things such as mashed potatoes, green beans, and oranges. Or macaroni and cheese, baked beans, and peaches. Or sweet potatoes with peanut butter, yogurt, and blueberries. I always call around this time and talk to her on the phone for a few minutes. She tells me what she's having for lunch and what she's been doing all morning. I love that she is old enough now to have conversations with me on the phone!

After lunch, she'll play for a little while longer and then go down for a nap around 1:30. She usually sleeps anywhere from 1 to 2 hours and is a little Miss Cranky Pants if you try to wake her up before she's ready. Girlfriend likes her naps!

I get home from work around 4:30ish and usually find her having some sort of adventure in the kitchen floor with Nana - yesterday it was celebrating Marshall's birthday in the princess castle. Marshall is one of the Paw Patrol pups in case you aren't hip to the toddler lingo.

When I get home, she requests her afternoon snack - always a handful of goldfish crackers and a piece of cheese. She'll eat her snack in her high chair while I fix dinner. Chris gets home around 5:30ish and we all eat dinner. Her dinner is usually a variation similar to her lunch, though occasionally it will be spaghetti or pizza with applesauce instead.

After dinner, we head straight to the bath tub where we always have to bring "friends" to play with. Her barbies - or "mermaids" as she calls them live in the bathtub, but they like to have friends come visit every night like Peppa and George or Minnie and Mickey. I let her play in the tub for 10-15 minutes before actually washing her - she loves to play in the bath. And I love to sit back and listen to her imagination run wild as her little friends go on adventures. Last night Peppa and George were going shopping - George was going to get some bananas and apples and Peppa was going to get a toothbrush.

After her bath, we always swing by to say hi to Daddy on the couch while she's still wrapped up in her towel, and then we head into her room for pj's and brushing her hair. Then it is time for flashcards with Daddy, or "Letters with Daddy" as Amelia calls it. Every night they go through her alphabet cards, and she got some number cards for her birthday so he's added that to the mix as well. She is really SO good at her letters - I'm afraid we need to up the challenge factor so she doesn't get bored! Anyone have any periodic table flashcards we can borrow?

After letters with Daddy, she usually gets a sugar-free popsicle as a reward, and then it's time to brush our teeth. She always has to bring a friend to brush teeth with us - they sit in the basket on the counter while she stands on the stool. After we brush our teeth, Amelia and Daddy go "tell Alexa goodnight" while I take Lucy out one last time. Then it's time for bed, but I usually let her watch the tablet for a few minutes to wind down.

She usually asks for "5 more minutes" when I tell her to turn it off and go to sleep.

And that is our three year old's daily routine in a nutshell! She loves her routine and is a big creature of habit, so we really don't stray far from it.


No comments: