Friday, April 13, 2018

Sweet Child O'Mine

Today won't be a long and rambling story about how I got myself into some sort of absurd situation like being stranded in a stranger's driveway or driving past a naked guy on my morning commute, or swallowing a staple. But let's be real, give me a few days and I'm sure something like that will happen again and I'll be back to share all the gory details.

Instead, today is reserved for documenting a few memories between me and my sweet girl. Though I don't think I'll ever forget.

Over the past few weeks, Amelia and I have enjoyed a few firsts in the area of picnicking.

The first picnic took place a few weeks ago in the midst of our Easter shopping escapade. Amelia is always game for a quick shopping trip on Saturday mornings, and this morning was no different. But because we were on a tight schedule so that we could be ready for church on Saturday afternoon, we had to squeeze in a really quick lunch in between stores.

So our solution was to run through the Chik-fil-a drive-thru (because of course). Merely out of convenience, I decided to bring Amelia up to the front seat as we were parked in the Old Navy parking lot, so that she could easily dip her fries in her beloved Chik-fil-a sauce and ketchup. What I thought was going to be a rushed and messy lunch experience ended up being very special.


We turned up the radio and sang along to Alabama's Mountain Music as we shared an order of waffle fries and a sweet tea. She was so stinking happy to be up front with Mommy. It was a sweet and special moment, and I hope I remember to always slow down and soak up those little unexpected gifts of quality time with my girl.


Because our first impromptu picnic was such a success, we decided to have a more planned out event last night for dinner. So, we hopped in the car and went through the Chik-fil-a drive-thru (because of course). Then we came home and cut up some strawberries, peaches, and apples, and we packed it all up in a basket. She was quick to point out that we didn't have a real picnic basket, but I thought the Easter basket was a pretty clever substitute.


We spread out a blanket on our patio, kicked off our shoes, and enjoyed our dinner on one of the most wonderful sunny evenings we've had in a long time.

There were no tablets or phones (except for the quick picture I took for posterity sake). It was just me and her eating, talking, and being truly happy together. My happy level was pretty much off the charts. Not so much because it was so much fun (even though it really was)...but mostly because I loved seeing Amelia bursting with so much joy. She kept saying "Mommy, I LOVE picnics! You are my BEST FRIEND!" And she would lean over and squeeze my neck to make sure I really knew she meant it.


We kept Lucy confined inside because we didn't want her to try to eat our food, so I commented that Lucy looked sad. She replied, "Yes, Lucy is sad....but I am HAPPY!" Lol.

We also had the sweetest conversation about the wind, as it blew around us. I asked her if she knew who made the wind blow. She said she didn't know, so I told her that it was God. She asked, "Where is God? I don't see him." So I said, "God is everywhere, but He lives in Heaven."

We talked a little more about church and Jesus, but I'm not sure if she fully grasped the concept. But I'll never forget the sweet moment of trying to teach her.

I read something yesterday from Lysa Terkeurst that said "You have the exact qualities God knew your kids would need in a mom."

That definitely resonated with me. But I think even more so, God created qualities in Amelia that He knew I would need as a mom. She thrives on the small quality moments where we can just be. And it refuels and refreshes my soul.

I am so very thankful for this sweet child of mine.


No comments: