Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Kids Say the Darndest Things

There is no possible way that I can capture all of the hilarious things that spout out of Amelia's little mouth on a daily basis, but for posterity sake, I think it is important that I document a few of them so that one day we can look back on this and laugh.

For better or for worse, Amelia has adapted the vernacular of her precious Peppa Pig. Bare in mind - this is a British-accented pig. So when Amelia pronounces the word "either" with a long I (EYE-ther) rather than with a long E (EE-ther) like her Southern parents, it always causes us to pause and look at her like, who are you?

It also throws us for a loop when we are playing with her toys and she declares that Peppa and George are going "on holiday" rather than saying "on vacation".

Also, everything is "lovely". This is a lovely day. That is a lovely toy. She is wearing a lovely dress. If she starts referring to gas as "petrol", I think we may have to stage a Peppa intervention.

I know I'm biased, but I have to say that our child is especially gifted in the communication department. She enunciates her words more clearly than anyone in our family. And if you mispronounce ANYTHING in her presence, then you better believe she is going to correct you swiftly and with much judgement for your verbal blunder by calling you a Silly Mommy. Not that I'm speaking from experience here or anything.

She only has a few words that she says sometimes that make her sound like an actual 3 year old rather than our 54 year old accountant. My favorite one is "stuffs". She's got a lot of stuffs and things that she likes to play with. I don't think she's ever said it without the extra 's' on there. I find myself occasionally using the word "stuffs" when I'm talking to her, sub-consciously trying to encourage her to keep saying it like that because I think it's so cute. Maybe not the best parenting strategy, but I don't think it will hurt her too much if she shows up to kindergarten saying "I'm ready to learn lots of stuffs!".

And lastly, her favorite word as of lately is "actually". I don't know where or who she has learned this word from, but she uses it in every other sentence. "Well actually this sticker is pink." "I really do love to read this book actually." It makes her sound extra confident about whatever it is she is saying.

And ACTUALLY, I think that is just LOVELY. The STUFFS she says is fine with her. And I don't mind it EITHER.

I hope you read that last sentence in a full British accent.

No comments: