Tuesday, January 21, 2020

5 Years Old

A few days late, but I can't let more time go by without documenting Amelia Ryan turning the big 5 years old! I can't believe I actually have a 5 year old - where does the time go?

Amelia requested a cat-themed birthday party this year, so we got online and found some cute decorations and things, but we couldn't find a cat cake anywhere so we ended up with a unicorn cake instead. But unicorns are a close second to cats in Amelia's world these days.



Amelia had two birthday parties this year instead of one. The first one was at our house for my side of the family. She had a ball playing with her cousins Haylee and Ryder in the basement, which included games of freeze dance, twister, Don't Wake Daddy, and hide-and-seek.

After her first party, I noticed how red her cheeks seemed to be as well as a faint rash on her body when I gave her a bath. I called the 24-hour number for our pediatrician and they said it sounded like Fifths disease. Under normal circumstances, Fifths disease is not a big deal as it's just a mild virus and it will run its course. However, it can be dangerous for pregnant women, so I spent Saturday night and the rest of Sunday keeping my distance from the birthday girl and trying to keep my freak out under control.

We went ahead and took Amelia to her 2nd birthday party on Sunday since her fever was pretty mild and even if she had Fifths disease, she would no longer be contagious. She had a great time with Chris's side of the family and felt great even though in all of the pictures we took her cheeks are bright red!






On Monday (which was her actual birthday), I let her go to school for a couple hours so that the class could celebrate with cupcakes. I just couldn't keep her home from school on the very first time she would get to have a school birthday party! I kept reminding myself that she wasn't contagious!

I picked her up early to take her to the pediatrician where she confirmed that it was in fact Fifths disease (also called Slap-cheek or parvo virus). She was fine and it already seemed to be getting better every day. However, I had to hightail it to my OB's office and have some labs drawn to make sure that I tested negative for parvo virus. Praise Jesus, my labs came back a few days later and were negative!

It was a highly memorable 5th birthday! And she has become a true one-of-a-kind 5 year old kid. She has her own sense of style and humor and she makes us so very happy every day.




The shy little girl who used to hide behind my legs around other people has blossomed into a chatter box who talks to everyone she meets. Pre-school and dance have helped her grow in confidence and we couldn't be more proud to call her ours. Her teachers adore her and tell us how sweet and smart she is. She has good friends (Lainey, Reese, and Hannah) who bring her so much joy. And she talks constantly to my belly because she just can't wait to meet Reagan and be the best big sister ever. Year 5 is going to be the best one yet!

Happy 5th birthday, Amelia Ryan!

No comments: