But in my defense, I have a good reason for being MIA. I've been on a staycation for the past week as many of you know. And blogging is strictly not allowed on a staycation.
So what did we do, you ask? Well. Basically a whole lot of nothing. And it was fabulous.
On Monday we got out and ran some errands. Dropped some clothes off at consignment, picked up a new flower pot, and then had a lunch date at Chik fila. When we came home, I let Amelia help water the flowers before nap time. We are for sure destined to love this plant to it's quick and untimely death. The Nation girls have very black thumbs.
On Tuesday, we were sitting at the kitchen table after just finishing up some chocolate chip pancakes when I got a phone call from Nana saying that her, John, Gigi, and Ryder were on their way to see us. According to her, we had confirmed this visit but my mama brain did not retain this bit of information so their visit was a complete surprise to me. Queue the turbo speed showers and pancake mess clean up.
But I'm so glad they came to visit because we had a great time. We went to lunch on the river at Captain's Quarters where in the below picture Ryder is picking the horse's nose. Because he is 12 and thinks that is hilarious.
But I tell you what truly is hilarious and that is what Ryder did at the lunch table with a lemon. So we were sitting around eating lunch and chatting when I decided to give Amelia the lemon from my water because girlfriend loves lemons. I believe I've documented that on the blog before. So Ryder decides that he wants a lemon so that he can show us his funny trick of putting the lemon in his mouth and smiling with big yellow lemon teeth. You know the old trick I'm talking about, right? So John obliged and gave Ryder his lemon from his water, and we all laughed at Ryder's lemon smile...but that's not the funny part.
The funny part was when I asked Ryder to take the lemon out so that Amelia wouldn't try to copy him and stick her whole lemon in her mouth. Quickly and apologetically Ryder rushed the lemon out of his mouth saying sorry and throwing the used lemon back into John's water glass! Through bouts of laughter we told Ryder that it's not appropriate to put a lemon that has been in your mouth into someone's water glass. So what did he do? Reached his hand deep into John's water glass to quickly and apologetically retrieve the lemon from John's glass. Bless him. John said, "um, it's ok...I didn't want anymore water anyway". I laughed until my stomach ached.
Lemon etiquette aside, Ryder is a wonderful big cousin. Amelia wanted to hold his hand everywhere we went. I love seeing these two love on each other.
On Wednesday we kept things low key. I'm pretty sure we didn't leave the house all day and it was glorious. We cleaned and did laundry, had dance parties, ate ice cream, and watched Gilmore Girls.
On Thursday, we ran a few more errands. I got us some new wall decor for our dining room from Hobby Lobby because as I was spending the week at home I realized something. If a stranger walked into our house, besides the way we spoke and interacted with them, they would see no visible signs that we were a Christian household. So I found it imperative that I fix that quick, fast, and in a hurry.
Thursday also included making a yummy dinner that I completely pulled like a rabbit out of my hat. Most of the time when I fly by the seat of my pants in the kitchen, the culinary results are less than stellar. But miraculously I whipped up a Mexican casserole chock full of peppers, onions, rice, black beans, cheese, jalapenos, and topped with salsa, avocado, cilantro, and sour cream and y'all...it was the bomb diggity.
It may look like a gloopy pile of weird, but it was goo --- oood. (Channel your inner Uncle Eddie from Christmas Vacation when you say the word good..)
Finally on Friday I battled the oncoming depression of the soon-to-be ending staycation by giving our balcony a little makeover. I tried to transform this pallet into a vintage American Flag, but I am SOOOO not the artsy one in my family so it looks a little more rustic than I intended and not in the cute way. But whatever, I'm keeping my masterpiece.
While I painted, Amelia played in the water and gave me the play-by-play of her little doll Polly. "Polly walk this way. Follow me. Polly jump in the water. Polly fall down."
Saturday we went out to dinner with Chris's parents to welcome them back from their vacation. It was basically the first time in 6 days that I had fixed my hair and put on make-up. Yay for losing the homely look and feeling girly again!
I loved spending a week at home with my favorite girl in the world. We were inseparable for over 200 straight hours and I'm ready for 200 more! I can't get enough of the little tator tot.
To my loyal blog readers, all 3 of you. I'm so sorry for abandoning the blog for half a month. I hope you found a way to power through and keep your chin up through that period of darkness and sadness. But have no fear, I'm back and ready to keep you updated on all of the mundane details of our lives like family grocery trips and coffee drinking, like my own personal gossip magazine. Because enquiring minds want to know!

No comments:
Post a Comment