Monday, January 11, 2016

Let it Snow

We had our first snow day of the winter season yesterday. It didn't accumulate too much, but it was enough to bundle Amelia up in her snowsuit and make a quick trip outside to document the occasion.



She wasn't too impressed with the cold, but she liked looking at the snow from the warm comfort of our living room. Can't say I blame her!



They are calling for 1 to 3 inches more, so let's all say a prayer for 3 inches that will require a stay at home snow day for all! Amen?

I've got a roast and potatoes and carrots in the crock pot at home, and I am so excited to open my front door and be greeted by the yummy smells of home cookin'. If it snows us in, we'll have plenty of food to sustain us for a few days!

On a completely unrelated note, I read a very riveting blog post by (my favorite) blogger Big Mama this morning about parenting and social media - click over here to read it (warning, it is kind of long).

With Amelia's upcoming first birthday, I have been convicted lately about being a good parent to her. The first year was - dare I say "easy" with regards to parenting. My job was to feed her, change her diaper, keep her alive, and love her to pieces. Mission accomplished.

But I know that as she grows up, it is going to soon be more challenging, and I am going to be required to make actual difficult parenting decisions. How will I discipline her? How will I teach her about important life lessons? Will I raise a well-mannered, caring young lady or will I accidentally create a selfish brat or bully? Will I be able to answer the difficult questions for her?

I am thankful that I have Chris to help me navigate these scary parenting waters looming up ahead, as he seems to be a lot more confident than I am when it comes to answering difficult questions. And no surprise here, I think he's going to be better at disciplining than I am as well (at least he has been better at it with Lucy than me, ha!).

But more than anything, I am thankful that I have my relationship with Jesus to cling to as I learn and grow as a parent. I know that I will make mistakes along the way, that is a guarantee. But as long as I teach Amelia about the love and hope she will find in Jesus, then I have done my #1 job as her parent and I can find peace in that.

No comments: