Thursday, March 29, 2012

Accountability

Warning: This is a LONG post about money, Dave Ramsey, and eliminating debt. If that kind of thing doesn't interest you, please come back tomorrow when I'm sure I'll be back to talking about things like American Idol, Lucy, and how exciting it is going to be when Louisville beats Kentucky this weekend. :)

Recently I watched the Nate Berkus show, and he had a guest on his show talking about how she had paid off over $23,000 of debt in one year. Wow. I was intrigued! I couldn't wait to learn how she managed to accomplish this very impressive task.

As it turned out, it was pretty simple. She went on a spending fast. For a YEAR. No frivolous spending on clothes, fancy restaurants, yummy coffee drinks, or spontaneous trips to Indiana to go to a book signing. (Okay so she didn't say that last one, but still...you get the idea!) Since hearing her talk about what she did, I have really been convicted about whether or not I could do this too. Do I have the will power? Will I feel like I'm missing out if I'm always saying NO to things?

I don't have anywhere near $24K in debt, it's more like a couple thousand that just won't ever seem to go away. My first instinct when I think about a spending fast is, "No way! I couldn't live without treating myself to a few things each month. I deserve a few rewards every now and then." But then I realize that living with that mentality isn't getting me anywhere close to paying off my debt (or at least not anytime soon).

It also makes me ask myself, "Am I really that shallow that I think I need to buy myself 'stuff' each month to make me happy?" Thinking about it that way, I know deep down that the answer is that no matter how much stuff I buy and accumulate, it won't make me happy. That is not what is truly fulfilling in life.

When I really think about it, I know that I would be proud of myself if I buckled down and paid off the nagging debt that has weighed me down for the past few years. I know that I would still be happy without those little shopping treats I privy myself to every now and then.

And I know that I can certainly entertain myself and occupy my time by doing things that wouldn't cost me a dime. Going for a run (hello exercise and suntan without the cost of a gym membership and tanning bed visit!), watching TV or watching a movie at home (hello Reba and FRIENDS dvds, I'll never get tired of you!),  reading a book (hello public library!), or just enjoying a beautiful day outside with my always entertaining husband and pup.

So in a nutshell, these are the thoughts that have been bouncing around in my head for the past few days. And if I really want to buckle down and try a spending fast, I know that I need to hold myself accountable. My closest friends and family are the majority of people who read my blog, and I hope that after you read this, you will help to hold me accountable. If you see or hear me thinking I need a new Easter dress (which just today I've already told 2 people that I can't wait to go Easter dress shopping, ugh!), then please by all means put me in my place! I give you permission to call me out and remind me of my spending fast. Call me shallow. It's okay, I am giving you the green light to insult me. I would deserve it!

Dave Ramsey encourages Baby Steps. His first Baby Step is Save $1000. For my spending fast, I'm going to start with my own baby steps and give myself a few guidelines.

Guidelines:

  1.  Budget for the necessities only. (I am the budget Queen. My only problem is that I budget for things like Easter dresses and concert tickets.)
  2. Give back. (Deuteronomy 15:10 Give generously to him and do so without a grudging heart; then because of this the Lord your God will bless you in all your work and in everything you put your hand to.
  3. Build up savings. (Be ready for emergencies, prepare for the future.)
  4. After necessities, contributions, and savings, put remaining amount on debt. (It will be hard, but you can do it!!)


Baby Step 1:

  1. Spending fast for one month (April 2012)

One last little story for you - I hope you're still awake, sorry for the lengthy post! One of my struggles with money is that I'm constantly comparing myself to others. On one hand, I think about how nice it would be to be like those people who don't have any debt because they worked hard and paid it all off. But then I see something I want to buy and say to myself, well I don't have nearly as much debt compared to a lot of people,  so it's okay if I buy this one thing and just pay my minimum credit card balance.

Comparing myself to others reminds me of a story I heard once about a sheep. (Stay with me here, I'm getting to a point I promise.) There was a white sheep standing in the middle of a bright green grassy pasture. It was remarkable how white the sheep looked standing in the green grass. But then it started snowing, and all of a sudden that SAME white sheep looked dirty and dull white against the pure white snow. It's funny how I can feel like I'm doing pretty good (and looking like a nice white sheep) when I compare myself with others who are deep in debt and give myself permission to spend on things I don't really need. If I really thought about it, I'm really just a dingy, dirty sheep who is a slave to the lender.

(FYI - this sheep story is also very true about our sins and the snow white righteousness of Jesus, but that post is for another day!)

Wish me luck! Keep me accountable! And if you are interested and want to read more, the guest from the Nate Berkus Show has a blog (which she started to help keep her accountable!). Check her out here: http://www.andthenshesaved.com/.

3 comments:

Alicia said...

NO Easter dress shopping :) You have TONS of cute clothes already! Check out Pinterest on ideas for new outfits with your current clothes!

Beth D said...

I would love to help and or insult you. Just kidding. Even though I say alot of stuff to you about this Dave Ramsey junk, it really would be awesome to have money and not worry about the debt we owe now. Maybe we could help each other. BETH

Kaylyn said...

I'm SO glad you posted this. We're going next Friday to sign the paperwork for my car. AKA -- time to start seriously sticking to the budget. I don't have any debt, but I feel like I just throw a lot of money away. We can totally keep each other accountable!!! :)