Monday, August 24, 2015

Airing Our Dirty Laundry & Get in Shape Girl

So this weekend I think we took Amelia out to more places in two days than she has been in her entire 7 months of life. For some reason, we became very stroller-happy and since little miss is such a great car rider and stroller cruiser, we just kept going and going and going.



This weekend the three of us went to Village Anchor, 32 Degrees, Bed Bath & Beyond, OfficeMax, Mark's Feedstore, Barnes & Noble, Blaze Pizza, Target, Staples, and back to Barnes & Noble for a second time. And out of those 10 places, she was asleep for 9.5 of them. Girlfriend gets lulled into a stupor when she's rolling in that thing!


In the midst of our weekend of errand running, Chris and I got into a heated discussion about laundry which resulted in me getting my feelings hurt (because we take our laundering matters seriously in the Nation household, y'all). So to resolve our little tiff, I decided that Chris must face the ultimate husband/father punishment. He had to change Amelia's stinky blowout diaper.

He changes wet diapers all the time, no problem...but somehow he has managed to "be busy" when the time comes for changing the dirty ones. It was great fun watching him completely gross out changing her diaper and saying things like "ugh, she smells like a sewer!' "I'm going to throw up! No seriously!" and my favorite, "I think I got it on my finger!".


Not sure how to segue way from that topic into what I want to talk about next which is eating healthy.

So anyway, I am trying to eat more healthy from now on. After Amelia was born, my baby weight fell off very quickly due in large part to the fact that I was breastfeeding plus running myself ragged, and if I am being honest, probably not taking the absolute best care of myself with regards to eating well-balanced meals all day.

Though I am still breastfeeding, it is only on a part-time basis, and I have gotten into a bad habit of eating fast-food and unhealthy meals. My once flat tummy has now turned into something I do not recognize. It is a soft and pudgy "Mom pouch".

I am just all over not in the same shape I used to be in. My once existing muscles have vanished and in their place are arms, legs, and a tummy that are as soft as marshmallows.

So, I hereby declare that it is time to Get In Shape, Girl! 

(When I was little, I had an exercise ribbon on a stick and VHS tape called "Get in shape, girl" and yes it was just as awesome as it sounds!)

To kick off my healthy revolution, I made a few days worth of overnight oats that I can eat for breakfast. I was oh so impressed with myself for taking the time to make this recipe I found on Pinterest chock full of healthy goodies like chia seeds, Greek yogurt, bananas, and strawberries.


I went ahead and made a week's worth of snack bags full of carrots, grapes, and edamame so that I wouldn't fall victim to the evil vending machine. And for lunch today I made a salad with "power lettuce" - that's what it's called, seriously (kale, spinach, chard, etc.), grapes, cucumbers, pecans, raisins, & edamame.

Also, one of my friends from work sent me an email last week asking if I wanted to join her for a lunchtime yoga class offered on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday - so we are going tomorrow. Impeccable timing!

I absolutely do not have time to exercise at home, and that is not just a lame excuse. I really don't! So lunchtime is just about the only time I have to squeeze in any type of workout. I'm glad I'm starting out on yoga because considering I haven't so much as stretched a muscle since before I was pregnant, I'm sure this jump back into the exercise world ain't gonna be pretty.

I'm hoping if I maintain a healthier diet and incorporate some exercise back into my routine, I will start to feel better and more energized!

Happy Monday!

No comments: