Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Oh Dave, Where Art Thou?

So remember the good ole days when I used to talk about Dave Ramsey all the time? It's really been too long since the last time I mentioned my pal Dave. I bring this up today because last night the hubster and I had a BLAST doing things like writing up a family budget and drawing up a will.

Good times. Except the exact opposite of that.

Even with all of my love and obsession with Dave Ramsey over the years, I hate to admit that I have been slipping with my budget and spending habits over the past year or so. When I was working to pay off my credit card and car loan debt years ago, I was a budget ninja. I could keep my grocery bill to under $100 every week, no problem. I NEVER ate out. Latte? Candy bar? DQ Reese's Blizzard with extra Reese's? No way, Jose.

But once I paid off the debt, I guess I became a little giddy with the freedom and the novelty of "treating myself" here and there, and I hate to say that after doing the family budget last night, it quickly became apparent that our spending budget on food items is straight busted. I've gone rogue, Dave! It's time to reel me back in! So, I am hereby re-claiming my throne as Queen Budget Ninja of the Dave Ramsey empire. A treat every now and then is okay, but it is time to get myself back to walking the straight and narrow path of budget control.

I went back and re-read some of my old posts about money, debt, spending, etc. and got inspired to remind myself of the things in life that bring me great joy that don't cost a penny. This is one of my favorites, if you care to click over and re-read an oldie but goodie.

When I am able to practice self-control in the financial area of my life, it inspires me to practice self-control in other areas of my life as well. I can't explain it, but something about creating a budget and STICKING to it and focusing my financial priorities on things that matter, just make me feel like I have my life together and want to download a mini-marathon training schedule and a read the Bible in a year plan. (Yes, I've already downloaded apps for both of those things just this week.)

It's like my sister and I always say - Mind, Body, Spirit. Try to do something every day that nourishes each one. For the mind, we encourage each other to read as many books as possible, work on our budgets and all things Dave Ramsey, watch a documentary, or even practice our very limited French speaking skills. For the body, we try to eat healthy, drink lots of water, and get in plenty of exercise which is a constant roller coaster for me because some days I'm all about the salads and elliptical machines and the next day I want nothing more than a cheeseburger and trough of chocolate peanut butter cup ice cream. Finally, and I would say definitely most importantly, we encourage each other to feed our spirit in ways like praying or writing a prayer journal, reading the Bible, and listening to worship music.

Almost every item I just listed as a way to nourish my mind, body, and soul - which is really what I think leads to a deeper joy and contentment in life - doesn't cost a thing. That is of course with the exception of buying actual real food to feed our bodies! I mean, yay for you if you can grow your own garden and live off the land, but I'm nowhere near that ambitious! But there is nothing in that list that includes fancy restaurants, expensive vacations, shopping sprees, and eating ice cream every day.

A Reese's Blizzard with extra Reese's does not count as something that nourishes the body...though if I'm being honest it sometimes may go a long way in nourishing my spirit!

I hope to raise this cute little stinker up discovering ways that she can grow and develop her own mind, body, and spirit too.


One thing is for certain - the joy she brings me on a daily basis is worth more than all the money in the world.

Oh and also I can't wait to teach her all about Dave Ramsey.

1 comment:

Beth said...

I'm glad there is someone else out there who thinks like me. I miss you and if you need me to help kick you into shape I will. Lord knows I need it to. But, always take time for a little "ME" treat like the ice cream or lil splurge. It keeps you sane too. Love you, Beth