Monday, May 9, 2016

What's that sound? It's a funny squeaky sound.

Well. We had QUITE an eventful weekend. And it wasn't because it was the Kentucky Derby. And it wasn't because it was Mother's Day weekend. No no, these things were just minor events in comparison to the Great Squirrel Adventure of 2016 that we had on Friday.

So Chris was off work on Friday because in Louisville most businesses close due to the fact that Derby is a local holiday. My office is not one of those places, so I was at work when I received a text from Chris around 1:00.

"We have squirrels."

I wasn't sure how to interpret that and before I let my imagination go too wild, I had to ask, "I'm sorry, WHAT?"

"A crazy lunatic squirrel on the balcony and he ran into the glass door."

So for the rest of the afternoon, I received pictures of all sorts. Pictures of Amelia and Lucy sitting by the glass door watching our new squirrel friend run around the balcony.


Pictures of the squirrel leaping into action.


And texts like "You are missing all the squirrel action." Followed by lots of squirrel emoji's.

Apparently, the Nation family doesn't see creatures in nature nearly enough and were completely enthralled with the excitement of this squirrel taking up residence on our balcony.

I got home around 3:00, and the squirrel was still on the balcony. Apparently, he was stuck and couldn't remember how to scurry himself back up into the tree from where he came. So I joined the family for Squirrel Watch 2016.


Family, grab your bottled water and bowl of popcorn and watch the squirrel on the balcony. It is high quality entertainment for the entire family. You can't see Lucy pictured here, but I promise that she is sitting right there behind that chair beside Amelia on full squirrel alert.

But being the squirrel-friendly people that we are, we decided it was time to take action. I am embarrassed to detail that we did the following things in our best efforts to aid our squirrel buddy - who we named Felix because he had been hanging around with us long enough now that he needed a name.

1. We put walnuts out for him to snack on, so he would not get too hungry during his long 4 hour escapade on the perilous carpeted balcony.

2. We rested a broom against the balcony rail creating a makeshift ramp from the balcony to the tree to help him understand that was where he belonged and needed to return to. Felix, buddy, you can come visit anytime you want, but please show us that you remember how to run back to the trees!

3. We sat a small trash can on the ground sideways in hopes that he would crawl inside and we would escort him downstairs and out to the backyard.

And let's be real here, all this "we" talk is really code for "Chris" because no way am I stepping foot onto that balcony and letting that squirrel jump on my head and scurry his little squirrel feet across my toes. *Shudder*.

4. And lastly, we (and this time, sadly, "we" is referring to me) called the emergency maintenance line for our apartment complex and reported via voicemail that we had a squirrel situation happening on our balcony and we were worried that he was going to die if someone didn't come help him get untrapped from our balcony.

I got the impression that the maintenance crew wasn't on duty since it was a local holiday and we weren't going to have the reinforcements we needed to handle this 5-alarm squirrel situation.

So I turned to Google. Google informed me that in situations such as these, one should leave the squirrel alone (for goodness sake!) and check back in 24 hours when it would most likely be gone. So get a life and stop worrying that a squirrel suddenly forgot how to climb!

And you know what? Google was right. About 30 minutes later our beloved Felix scaled the balcony wall to the roof and was gone forever.


At least until we see him out there again with more of his squirrel buddies after he told all of them, "hey I found this great hangout spot where they GIVE YOU FREE NUTS!"

In other non-squirrel weekend events, we watched the Kentucky Derby Saturday evening. Amelia really liked the horses, but that is no surprise since she holds her very own horse races in her bathtub all the time.


Also, we had a small Mother's Day celebration yesterday with Chris's mom and grandma out in Shelby County.



It's appears that Amelia is truly a country girl at heart. She took to riding a tractor like a duck to water.


Maybe we should take her out to visit the country more often. Perhaps she would see lots of country critters running around like bunnies, horses, deer and such. It might make the next balcony squirrel sighting a little less exciting and prevent us from getting all crazy and taking extreme measures to save squirrels that don't actually need saving.

Which would perhaps be a really good thing given that it is Monday morning now and I am absolutely DREADING the fact that I will probably receive a phone call from our maintenance office any minute now asking if our squirrel emergency was resolved over the weekend.

No comments: