So, old sicky here is almost back to my normal self. Probably somewhere around 92% healthy, which is enough to come back to the working world (after staying home on Friday), but yet not quite enough to be very happy about it.
Friday I called in sick, though that doesn't mean I stayed in bed all day and rested and ate chicken noodle soup like ye olden days of calling in sick. Because Amelia doesn't care if Mommy is hacking up a lung and going through Kleenexes like they're going out of style - when it's time to get up and turn on Elmo, there is no excuse, so GET UP MOM, let's start the day at 6:45 like usual.
Thankfully, my AMAAAAZING in-laws came to my rescue around lunchtime and brought me some Chik-fil-a, bless their soul, and took Amelia out for a two hour shopping and ice cream trip while I slept the sleep of angels and woke up with a puddle of drool on my shirt. It was glorious.
Even with a little rest, I still felt pretty puny for most of Friday afternoon and night, but I woke up Saturday feeling slightly perkier. We hung around the house for most of the day getting in some good quality time with Amelia and Lucy before we shipped them off to their Nana and Papaw's house for the night. Chris got us tickets to see Bela Fleck play with the Louisville Orchestra so it was date night for the Nation's!
We had dinner at Proof on Main, which is completely and totally too fancy for me, but Chris feels like he is in his element in all of the fanciness. I have to admit, they did have a cheese board appetizer that was out of this world, but when it came to the main course I couldn't figure out anything to order from the fancy pants menu and ended up getting grilled asparagus and roasted potatoes. Don't get me wrong, it was good, but I'm pretty sure the waiter probably thought I was such a fancy restaurant amateur. In which case, I would tell him, yes sir I am. Give me Chik-fil-a over Proof on Main any day of the week!
Bela Fleck, in case you don't know who that is like me, is a famous banjo player. He did the song Man of Constant Sorrow from Oh Brother Where Art Thou. This information was how Chris sold me on the whole "let's go see Bela Fleck" idea, because really, who wants to go listen to some "famous" banjo player for date night? I'll tell you who - my hubby. But I thought, oh well, I liked that movie, and that song, so maybe it will be cool after all.
On the scale of 1 to 100 of "coolness", I would give it about a 37%. There was no singing. The banjo pickin' was pretty minimal. It was mostly just the orchestra playing music. Now I can appreciate classical music as much as the next person.... when I want some relaxation music to FALL ASLEEP TO. Which is almost what I did while sitting there in my seat at the Kentucky Center for the Arts, I kid you not. It was a snoozefest of epic proportions.
The only reprieve, that may possibly bump the score up from a 37% to a 50% is that at the very end, Bela Fleck broke out a little diddy called the Ballad of Jed Clampett aka the theme song from the Beverly Hillbillies. And that made me very happy. What can I say, you can take the girl out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the girl.
...come and listen to my story 'bout a man named Jed...
Oh yes, solid gold baby.
Sunday morning was supposed to be my morning o'sleep since we were kidless for the first time on a weekend EVER... but my brain is now hard-wired to wake up before the sun, so I really hate to report that I was up drinking coffee at 6:45, and let me tell you I was NOT happy about it. But there was no arguing with my brain.
Chris and I visited a new church that is literally 2 minutes from our house, and I really liked it. The first worship song we sang was How Deep the Father's Love For Us, which I took as a very good sign. I whispered to Chris, "uh oh, this is the song that ALWAYS makes me cry!" to which he replied something along the lines of OMG, you better not ... so I spent the next few minutes actively fighting back the tears because that is only the BEST song ever. It's even better than the Ballad of Jed Clampett.
Oh my goodness, I just glanced back up at the title of the post and remembered what I ACTUALLY intended on blogging about today...and that is to brag on my sweet baby girl.
It is my job as her parent to brag on her and make sure to tell everyone I know that she is so sweet, and so smart, and so wonderful. But y'all. She SO is. Let me illustrate with this adorable example of her wonderfulness.
Every Sunday afternoon, rain or shine, I take my weekly trip to Kroger to get our groceries. It used to be the bane of my existence, but now it has turned into more of my personal "me" time and I quite enjoy it. But I digress. When I get back from the grocery run, I bring up the bags and lay them in the floor in our entryway while I run back down to get the rest of the groceries. While I'm unloading the groceries from the car, Chris is busy picking up the bags from the floor, bringing them to the kitchen, and putting the groceries away. It is a well-oiled machine that we have long ago perfected.
However, we have a new helper in our grocery unloading system. Amelia has decided that she wants to help put the groceries away too now...so as I bring the bags in, she starts pulling everything out of them one by one and handing them to Daddy to put away. Y'all it is precious. She loves helping. And she will not stop until every last grocery item is put away. She pulls the bottles of Tazo tea out one by one and stands beside the refrigerator while Daddy puts them in. She carries the diapers and wipes down to the nursery and hands them to Mommy to put up on the changing table. She even pushed the big 9-roll mega roll Charmin down the hallway to the bathroom without even being told to do so! What a great helper!
And THEN to top it all off, when we were done putting the groceries away as a family, Amelia grabbed her favorite book and propped herself up in her little chair to read all by herself. It was so sweet. I just stared at her in awe and told Chris, "We have the best baby ever." I just want to brag on her all the live long day.
"...come and listen to my stories 'bout my baby named Amelia.."
Y'all come back now, ya hear?
No comments:
Post a Comment