Thursday, April 19, 2012

Wavy Hair Tutorial

Earlier in the week I posted a picture of myself on one of my wavy hair days, and I was asked to do a hair tutorial on how I do it. You will need a 1 or 1 and 1/2 inch curling iron. Since this morning I decided to wear my hair wavy, I went ahead and took some pics to document the process, so here goes:

First of all, after you wash your hair, don't comb it out. Dry it with the hair dryer and run your fingers through, but don't comb out all of the tangles. This will help give your hair natural body and texture and help make your waves extra wavy.

So when you begin your hair will look something like this - straight and a frizzy mess, but that's a good thing.


Start by taking the top half of your hair and clipping it up out of the way.


Pull out about an inch section at a time to work with.


Wrap the section around the barrel of the curling iron. Do not open the curling iron clamp for this, just wrap the hair a few times around the entire barrel. Hold for about 10 seconds.


After a few sections of wrapping the hair around and letting it drop, it should look something like this.


Work your way around the bottom layer until they have all been wrapped around your curling iron. Now it's time to take down your hair from the clip and get started on the top layer.


Start at the back and work your way forward.


Taking small sections at a time, wrapping them around the curling iron barrel, and letting it drop.


If you are like me and have short layers or bangs in the front, you'll have to do something about those after you've done with all of your sections.


This is the only step that I use the actual clamp part of my curling iron, and I curl my bang layers back away from my face so that they blend in with my hair.


Spray some hair spray all over and give your waves a little scrunching and tousling for body.


And voila, you are done! Looks like you just left the beach!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Love it!

Andrea D said...

You have such cute wavy hair :) And sweet tutorial...if I tried making one, I'd probably end up looking like a moron in front of the camera!
Thank you so much for your sweet, encouraging comments on my post today. And I'm SO glad you recognized the song in my title...just the old, emo junior high schooler in me coming out again :P

Andrea
Left brain, right brain, pug brain.

momto8 said...

beautiful!! thank you for this...i need all the help I can get and I think my daughters have lost their patience with me! you look so pretty with soft curls!
I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

henning love said...

thanks for the tutorial!! your hair is super cute. i will try your techniques

ali v. said...

what I wouldn't do to have gentle waves like yours--I've got CRAZY curls! haha. you look so pretty with the waves though, I must say! have a happy weekend :) xoxo {av} | {long distance loving}