Monday, January 28, 2013

Our Weekend (and our kick-off to vegan life!)

So last week we sent the Forks Over Knives documentary home with Chris's parents to watch...and when we got to their house Friday night for dinner, there was a complete vegan spread laid out for us! Fruit, hummus, vegetable chili...and tofu! It was very good...although it may take me a little while to acquire a taste for tofu!

Saturday we got some Starbucks (when did I become to girl who ordered a tall soy iced chai latte?) and then we went to PF Changs for lunch. I got the spring rolls, and oh my, they were so delicious! I could probably have PF Changs spring rolls for lunch every day for the rest of my life. Chris got the Buddha's Feast which was steamed vegetables and brown rice. We are feeling so healthy and loving it! After lunch, the boys headed to the shooting range and the girls headed home to check on Lucy.


Lucy hung out with her grandma while I read a little Huck Finn and ended up taking a little cat nap. (Ahhh, it was lovely!) Saturday night we went out with the whole family for birthday celebrations. We went to this restaurant called Aspen Creek which is kind of like American-style steak, chicken, burgers etc....what is a new-found vegan supposed to eat? I got the kid's spaghetti, and I'm sorry to report that it was pretty gross!

Sunday we had a yummy healthy breakfast with his parents (oatmeal & fruit) and then headed back to Bowling Green. I dropped Chris and Lucy off at home and drove on down to Franklin to go to Ryder's 8th birthday party. Chris was the good hubby who stayed home to clean and do laundry and stay with Lucy. We had a great time celebrating Ryder's birthday...where did the past 8 years go? He's getting so big!




Last night we had a very yummy dinner of veggie tacos (black beans, lettuce, onions, jalapeno peppers, salsa wrapped up in a wheat tortilla) with chips and guacamole. I'm learning that the vegan lifestyle is much easier and tastier when we stay home and fix dinner ourselves! We rented the movie The Words last night, and it was really good. If you like those movies that leave you wondering at the end, then you would like this one.

I promise I won't give you meal-by-meal details of my new diet -- this was just a brief glimpse at our new way of eating! Feeling healthier every day!

Happy Monday!

No comments: