Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Forks Over Knives

A little less than a year ago, my husband and I watched the food documentary, Food Inc. Remember my declaration that I would be eating 100% organic from that point on? Yeah, that didn't exactly happen. But we definitely made much more of a conscience effort to buy organic, especially fruits, vegetables, meat, and dairy.

Well, my documentary-loving husband has done it again. This weekend we watched the movie, Forks Over Knives. In a nutshell, it encourages a plant-based diet {plant-based aka vegan aka no meat, dairy, eggs, etc.}. Alicia, if you are reading this, you should probably stop now, my meat-loving friend. 



The documentary shows the astounding correlation between the western diet {chock full of large amounts of meat and dairy} with the high rates of cancer, obesity, heart disease, and other degenerative diseases. It also shows that when people are placed on a completely plant-based diet, their diseases actually start to reverse and they no longer need any prescribed medication.

Of course, we watched this documentary right after I had finished my weekly grocery trip....where 50% of the purchases were meat & dairy. So, are we going to dive right into the vegan lifestyle? Not quite. We are going to slowly ease into it, and see how it goes. This week I'm trying to refrain from meat, but I'm enjoying my last week of regular milk in my cereal, creamer in my coffee, and stuffed shells with 3 different types of cheese.

Next week = week 1 of the Vegan Nations. Wish us luck! We've already made out our grocery list! It's full of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Man, we are going to be so healthy. I can't wait! :)

The next documentary I want to watch is called Earthlings. Ellen Degeneres claims this is the documentary that made her become a vegan. It documents the inhumane treatment of animals in factory farms. She said in an interview that Food Inc looks like a Disney movie in comparison to Earthlings. I'm sure it will be hard to watch, but I really want to get a better understanding of exactly how the food on my plate gets there.

If there are any vegans out there reading, let me know of some good recipes to try!

Happy Tuesday!

No comments: