Thursday, February 9, 2012

Style Inspiration

As a newlywed, I try my best to create a cozy yet stylish home for my hubby and me. But sometimes I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to decorating! I've lived in apartments by myself or with friends over the years, and it's always been pretty easy to decorate because things could be as girly as we wanted! Now when I go shopping for home decor, I have to consider how Chris will react when I bring it home. Is this too girly? Is this just my style or will he like it too?  


When I lived by myself, my style leaned toward an antique, cottage-like style. That's not exactly Chris's cup of tea! And if he was picking out our home decor by himself, I know we would totally be living in a man cave (no offense, babe!). So as a middle ground, we have discovered a style inspiration that we both agree on. There is a certain person in my life that we both agree has GREAT style in decorating. That would be my Nana! Her home looks like it came straight off the pages of a Traditional Home magazine.


I can't explain what her style is exactly, but I know when I'm out shopping and I see something that looks like Nana, I should probably buy it! A common theme in her style would be rich colors like mahogany, sage, gold, and rust. This week I've had the decorating bug and have been keeping Hobby Lobby in business on a daily basis. Once you get started working on a room, one thing leads to another and you find yourself wanting new lamp shades to go with the new picture on the wall and new candle sticks to go with the new shelf and so on and so forth. Somebody stop me!

I love having a Nana who inspires me. Even though her home is classy, elegant, and beautiful, it is also always very warm and welcoming. I can only hope that my home will always give that same greeting to those who enter.

Happy Thursday, friends!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love Hobby Lobby! :)

Jill @ ACharmedLife said...

i dream of having a warm and welcoming home one day. for now, me and the hubbys small condo will have to do ;) this is my first time stopping by your blog... and i just noticed we got married on the same day - 8/6/11- what a FABULOUS day :)